Skip to main content

Reply to "PBR “preseason” showcase"

4arms posted:

Mine is 14.  I know he’s young and it’s a little early to be concerned with recruiting but his measurables are very competitive and he’s performed extremely well in big tourneys.  Right now the big mystery with him is where he stops growing.  He still has quite a bit of growth in him and we’ve been told he’s a good prospect for his class.   He’s played in several team showcases but this is our first year dabbling into individual showcases.  So the information this site provides has been extremely helpful.  There’s so much information out there and it can get overwhelming.  And I know we are just scratching the surface with him being young.   

The thing with PBR events is that they aren't real expensive, and if it's close enough that you don't have a lot of travel expense, I'd say go for it....if for no other reason than to get your son familiarized with how a showcase is going to work and let him see some older kids and how he measures up compared to them.  Keep in mind, most of the kids are going to be in the same boat....meaning "preseason" form...so it's kind of keeps things "even" if that makes sense.  My son went to his first showcase/camp event the summer after 8th grade.  We were the first ones there...it was at a D1 stadium. My son (and his friend, also an 8th grader) thought they were the coolest kids in the world...they were the only 2 eighth graders there.....THEN, the big boys started walking in   T-shirts and jerseys with all of the big name HS's in the state on the front.  Next thing I knew the boys were standing in the back against the wall, looking scared to death.   Fortunately once things started, an assistant from an SEC school, pulled them aside, talked to them for a few minutes and threw them into the fire.  Had them at SS taking infield against whoever stepped up to the plate.  They both did fantastic.  The coach came over to me after the event and complimented the kids and said he thought it was great that they were there at such a young age and commented that unless they are a senior in HS or a senior in college that they will always be competing against older kids....might as well get used to it.  I really think that that event is what convinced my son that he had a shot at being a D1 player.  He still talks about that day.  Some of you guys may recognize the coach, Jeremy Sheetinger, better known in the baseball world as "Sheets".  He was an assistant at UK at the time, and is now the director of ABCA. 

Last edited by Buckeye 2015