Skip to main content

Reply to "PBR: What do they do?"

@used2lurk posted:

@Miller2020 I would follow the advice given by many above. For reference I have a 2022 so am in a somewhat similar spot.

PBR here in MN is the only game in town for verifiable metrics (have to go to IA or WI to get Perfect Game stuff but costs minimum of $500 to get a somewhat similar product imo). PBR here costs ~ $275-$350. There are some coaches from D2/D3/JUCO's that are working or wandering around watching players at the same time.

The metrics they offer is different for Pitchers and position players. Many guys do a Pitcher/other combo or a 2 position combo. Generally costs another $25-$50 to add a  secondary position. Metrics for P are velo and movement for different pitches (done via Trackman and a radar gun in some cases) and the hitting metrics are a combo of Trackman and Blast.

Other data is a 60 time, positional velo (OF/IF/C), exit velo off a tee, and they will also do a fairly boilerplate evaluation (by boilerplate I mean that many terms like "athletic frame, consistent hands, clean exchange, average footwork, pull side approach, etc." to do their best to describe your kid. There also is a video montage of your kid running the 60, 4-6 swings, and his positional fielding and throwing. This video is available for coaches/programs/individuals that have a paid account.

I think that doing a PBR sort of lets local D2/D3/JUCO's know that your kid is interested in playing in college. The recruiting landscape appears to be really unique right now. We do it so my kid has some verifiable metrics along with video. This allows us to add a link of his profile when he reaches out to coaches outside of our state. Our hope is that he has the measurables to at least be in the conversation at some of his target schools which will then watch him at a tourney, in a camp environment, or request more video to see more of him. I would encourage you to manage your expectations on what PBR will do for your son other than provide data for him/others to use as a tool in his process. Hope this helps.

At PBR are exit velo and blast metrics done using a standard (PBR provided) wood bat, your wood bat or is it your BBCOR? Is it off a tee or a pitched ball?