Skip to main content

Reply to "PD and others...."

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Boydston:
Just curious what the boys have told you about their first experience at the collegiate level. Although it was just the Fall and the real test is coming up, what were the differences they noticed between high school and college.

As I stated last year, the biggest difference we noticed were how much bigger some of the kids were, and it seemed like every ball hit whether it be foul, an out, or a base hit, they were hit hard.

Also, when you go to places like Baylor, Texas and A&M, the hecklers are pretty vocal. Smile

Biggest difference so far is level of commitment it takes to be an athlete in college. When fall ball started in mid September, he would have 15 to 16 hour days of school and athletics (baseball and conditioning). Only night he went out was Saturday, Friday nights he was in bed my 10 PM.

My son spent a lot of time over the holidays working with a minor league ballplayer. One thing this young man told my son was, "you have to love the grind". College athletics is a grind. Many Freshman spend a lot of time working to transition and improve at the college level. For many their playing time will be after their Freshman year.