Skip to main content

Reply to "Pepperdine and Cal Poly????"

Frank F,

Wow, quite a trip from New England. Your biggest challenge will be dealing with traffic flows between LAX and Santa Barbara when you arrive, and Monday getting out to Northridge. If you arrive early enough on the 15th, drive on up to Santa Barbara...it's worth the trip to be able to look around a little before you go the ballfield. I stayed (without the wife) at a Motel 6 on State Street just a few miles from campus. Very reasonable for Santa Barbara. Malibu is a pain inthe neck because it is so isolated. A mountain range seperates you from Calibasus and there are limited roads across. Kanaan Dune is the main one and give it one accident or a little rain and ugh! I'd try to find a beach motel along the Pacific Coast Highway between Malibu and Santa Monica. The closer to Santa Monica you get, the more expensive things become and once again the traffic can be horrible. Also, just south of Oxnard is Point Hueneme, about 20-25 minutes from Pepperdine. Make your trip to Northridge just for the game...it's a light industrial/ residential area. Not a scenic wonderland! Then right after the Northridge game hit the road to Poly. I think Atascadero or Pismo Beacha are great suggestions. Again, without the wife and on a limited budget, Motel 6 is a fine room. Good luck and hopefully the weather stays nice. Cool