Skip to main content

Reply to "Perceived Velocity"

@TexasLefty posted:

I was with my son at a travel team tryout recently, and I was having a hard time believing the gun.  Not for him, but many of the others.   Same gun for every pitcher, max velo relayed to the mound coach at the end, which everyone could hear.  I swear some of the kids throwing low 70s looked like they had more perceived velo than kids throwing high 70s.  Not all of them, but I would’ve guessed a few of those low 70s kids were hitting highest 70s or even 80s. Yet, they were not by the gun.  I’m not saying the gun was wrong.  What factors into this?  

In theory it could be a variety of pitch types thrown, but I'm not sure about this particular case if fastballs are in the 70s....there is nothing to gauge 70+ mph.   What is the pitch that changes the hitter's perspective?  Curveball in the 60s? 

Like @Buckeye 2015's son, my college son was not an imposing figure on the mound tipping the scales.  He had a fluid motion, hid the ball well, and had a devastating change up and cutter that he could make dance.  It looked effortless.   The change up setup the fastball and made it look a lot faster than it really was (low 90s).  Changing the hitters perception is pitching.

Also, some of the newer catcher's mitts make it sound a lot louder which gives the perception the velocity is greater.  I've had the pleasure of being mere feet away from a pitcher throwing 100mph in a bullpen.  The first was John Rocker, and I really didn't see the ball....I heard it.  But I had no experience being around that velocity so, I didn't know what I was witnessing.   The second time as at PG WWBA in East Cobb (the old venue).  There were a significant number of scouts watching this 17-year old guy throwing a bullpen.  I don't recall his name but my son remembers him.  Again, it was a new experience and I had no idea how to gauge any of it.