Skip to main content

Reply to "Perception vs. Reality"

@TexasLefty posted:

I would say that most of the successful players into or during HS years can feel like a straight line but it really depends on what is being evaluated.  If my son had remained at the lowest level (AA), his performance would definitely make it seem like he was a top prospect compared to the players at that level, and possibly into HS.  But as he advanced each level, there was a re-evaluation and focus on certain things to improve on because each step up through AAA to majors was challenging.  It exposed him to more talented players and better play and to his own weaknesses and strengths, which made his path curve.  I would suspect there are some rare players born with the talent to be a rock star player at 8u and still be that much better than everyone else through 18u.

I am watching this happen right now with my son 15U. It has been a roller coaster. This fall he has transitioned from playing with just his age group to playing and scrimmaging with older and/or better players. He's getting kicked around a bit and it's  exposing his weaknesses a bit more. I think he is handling it pretty well and holding his own to the best of his current abilities. Thankfully I am starting to become more used to the failure/success seesaw that the game of baseball is.

I often wondered what it would like to have a kid that was a top prospect D1 player where there is no question that they are going to play in college or beyond. Do you still worry or is the game more enjoyable to watch because you know he will shine and do well? Or do you simply move up a level to where he is not the best on the field and have the same worries as every other parent about your child?

I do realize just because someone has more natural talent doesn't mean their path is necessarily easy.

Last edited by BB328