Skip to main content

Reply to "Perfect Game: A blessing and a curse?"

Originally Posted by real green:

What do you think happened to those good players of years past that were overlooked? 

I would agree probably more players from around the country in that division but who filled the spots in years past?  Talented players closer to home.  I can see PG and the like redistributing talent around the nation.  Is that a good thing? 

I don't know what happened to them.  I'm guessing they either went off to college without playing baseball.  Or maybe they couldn't afford college and just got a job in which a college degree wasn't necessary.

I would say that the roster spots were probably filled with less talented players that were closer to home...  If they are just as talented, I'm sure the team would still recruit them.  

Bottom line is, the MOST talented, top prospect kids will almost always be recognized.  With or without PG.  The problem is there are tons and tons of kids out there that want to play baseball at the next level.  PG provides one option for them to get evaluated and seen by those that make the decisions.  In the past, these kids may never come across the radar of the college recruiters.  With an avenue like PG, these recruiters can see a bunch of kids all at once and watch the ones they want.  

Maybe the local school isn't interested in one of these 2nd tier players.  But, there is a school up in Michigan who comes to PG and sees a kid from Mississippi that would perfectly fit in with his team and his needs.  Boom - that kid has a place to play.  Without this venue, that never would have happened.

So, I'd venture to say that overall, it is a good thing.  There are probably just as many stories of kids who get a chance, out of the blue, to go to a school they never would have even thought of as those stories of kids who are not given an opportunity at the local U. because someone from out of state took "their spot".

Maybe the biggest losers are the least talented kids who will have a hard time finding somewhere to play because the recruiters have so many more talented options to choose from.