Skip to main content

Reply to "Perfect Game: A blessing and a curse?"

I'm all for discussing these type issues, I just hope some of the bashing stops.  I'm fairly certain if you really knew more about us there wouldn't be much bashing.

Allow me to use our home state of Iowa as an example. After all, that is where we started PG.  At that time there were three division one schools in Iowa, now there is only one.  For the most part every kid in Iowa that had enough talent went to one of those schools.  Out of state recruiting didn't exist.  Often these talented players were forced to walk on if they wanted to play at that level.  They had no other choice.  Many talented kids were over looked and really never received any recruiting interest.  My own son as a HS senior  was recruited by just one college and it was not a DI school.  4 years after he graduated from HS he was pitching in the Major Leagues.  The extent of scouting was the once a year 5 player only Bureau tryout. Often it was far from the best 5 players, so it was rare to see an Iowa kid get drafted.

Since that time things have really changed.  Every player minus one 50th rd pick out of he state of Iowa played in the PG events.  This included kids drafted in the first and second rounds.  The best players in the state were getting good scholarships from the instate schools because out of state schools were making offers. Top Iowa players were ending up at Southern Cal, Oklahoma, Texas colleges, Florida, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Stanford, Georgia, you name it, all over the country.  Use, and nobody can deny how all that happened.

Problem was we couldn't stay in business if we just stayed in Iowa.  So we took our work elsewhere.  Everywhere we went the same things were happening.  The kids were benefitting and so were the colleges and scouting community.  Why would you need so many colleges seeing you???? That is very simple to figure out, It is called leverage. It makes the player more valuable when many colleges want you. 

Bottom line, if your not interested in playing professional baseball after high school. If you are satisfied with the local area college and what they are offering you. If you don't desire to play with and against the best players in the country that are your age. Then there is no reason to do things like PG.  Or you can hope they all find you!  That's the old way and it really didn't work well for most.

I could ask almost everyone here that played HS baseball.  Did you ever see a player you thought was extra good yet he never played anywhere after high school. I think we all have seen that.  It just happens a lot less now days.  Many more opportunities exist.  There are thousands of people that know exactly what I am talking about.  We want to find every outstanding talented player.  We don't care if he comes from a wealthy family or a homeless shelter.  We don't care what color his skin is or what nationality he is. People would be surprised how things would change if there were some rules changed.

What if every wealthy person with a son would go out and find a kid that can't afford the same opportunities his son has and help him. Buy him a new glove or a good pair of spikes. Try to get him on a team. Take him under your wing, get him to love the game and make his life better.  We and others are trying the best we can to do that.  It makes you feel real good.  If everyone did that it sure would be great for baseball. Guess some just find it easier to complain about the system rather than to do something to make things better.