Skip to main content

Reply to "Perfect Game: A blessing and a curse?"

I played high school and college ball in the 70s. The best summer ball was Legion. A Legion players exposure was limited to how far the team advanced in the post season. My teammates and I were fortunate to advance to regions three straight years. That gave us a lot more exposure than players on a third place team that didn't even make states. Along the journey, advancing as far as we did we played against players who drew pro scouts like flies. I had one for a teammate. Having another teammate who was 6'6" and threw 93 drew scouts. The players on my Legion team ended up playing college ball all over the region. Legion players who didn't make states or regions had limited options.

Now a kid doesn't have to worry about the scouts and coaches finding him. The player can now find the scouts and coaches. It sure seems like a better approach to me. And shame on a kid if he doesn't want it badly enough to earn the money to attend a showcase. If he can get to a PG event, great. If not there are other quality opportunities that are more regionally oriented. Select Fest in NJ is a "can't miss" for top northeast/mid Atlantic talent. All the D1s east of the Mississippi attend. 

I've been through the process with a softball and a baseball player. The new way is far superior to the old way. Both my kids wanted to get away from the cold weather they would have dealt with at their state university. On a recruiting visit in New England in February my daughter asked me, "Dad, what in the world were you thinking when you moved us from southern CA? This sure isn't UCSB!" It was about ten with the windchill.