Skip to main content

Reply to "Perfect Game Academic Showcase"

We have done that in the past and got some complaints from scouting departments and one college.  We actually posted an interview we did with the late Joe Walsh (Harvard).  He said some great things about PG in that interview.  Within days he called me and asked to take it down.  Compliance wouldn't allow it.  NCAA rules disallow any college coach from endorsing a scouting service or their events.

Truth is we feel like we work for every college and every MLB scouting department.  They use our information even if they didn't attend an event.  Believe it or not, they know that we know which players they would like. So while there could be an event that has a few scouts and college coaches, the information on those players at the event is going to be seen by a very large number of decision makers. 

I could give hundreds of examples, but here is one.  One day at an indoor showcase in Cedar Rapids Iowa  a kid from Wisconsin showed up.  Nobody knew he was and he was already a senior.  He was from very small town in Northern Wisconsin.  He threw about 35 pitches and that was all it took.  We wrote him up.  The Recruiter from Clemson called me up and asked about him.  That coach is now the head coach at Florida.  Anyway, he told me they had lost a pitcher and needed to replace him and wanted to know if I thought this kid from Wisconsin would be good enough for Clemson.  I told him the kid is talented enough to pitch at any college including Clemson.  The recruiter had not seen the kid pitch, called him up and the next thing you know he was committed to Clemson.  His name is Jason Berken and if my memory serves correct, he became a freshman All American.  After Clemson he pitched some in the Big leagues.

These kind of discussions are common around here.  And I sure can understand why people might want to know which colleges are going to be at an event.  But lots of times recruiters and MLB scouts are busy working and even though they might be friendly they prefer to get their work done. As hard is might be to hear, they know who and what they want.  They really don't want to hear from every player and parent that was at the same event.  It just takes time away from them being successful.  However, some, not all, DIII coaches aren't so selective and the more people interested in their school the better it is.  Especially if they know the player's academics match their college.