Skip to main content

Reply to "Perfect Game Academic Showcase"

Louise asks the question on minimum GPA.  Some showcases and camps provide recommendations, and the best answer is "it depends".

In our experience with a 2012 and 2016, we found that ACT or SAT scores were far more important to college coaches, at least initially, than GPA or curriculum.  The standardized test scores were considered comparable nationwide for all players and typically provided the initial academic hurdle for whether a coach/school was interested.  GPAs and curriculum vary...a 3.4 somewhere isn't considered equal to a 3.4 somewhere else.

The requirements vary by school of course too.  The Ivies had a higher academic hurdle (test scores, GPA, curriculum, etc.) than most schools in the Centennial Conference or Patriot League.

And despite all the above, if a player is a stud, that player gets more leeway academically than a player who has lesser skills.  That's true at the Ivies (my 2012 wasn't close to average ACT/SAT or GPA but he threw in the 90's) and most everywhere else.  My 2012 had a 3.08 GPA.  He was "offered" by all the Ivies, Patriot, and a bunch of other places.  My 2016 has a 3.6 GPA.  He wasn't offered by any of them.