Skip to main content

Reply to "Perfect Game Academic Showcase"

I actually asked HF about 2016s GPA and test scores before we signed him up and they gave me the go ahead.  I think it's safe to say that GPAs need to be over 3.0.   How far over will depend on your position, what school you want to attend and how you perform at the showcase.  One coach of a travel team told me he would never recommend an academic showcase (like HF) unless the player had a 3.5 or over and I saw the 3.4 comment above.   2016 wasn't at that level but he killed it in his 2 innings pitching at HF on day 1 and got a lot of interest.  

What I find intresting is that he had interest from 3 Centennial Conf schools and two of them had very clear outlines of academic money available for his GPA/test score level and sent us countless mailings/emails about it completely separate from baseball.  So clearly 2016s GPA was fine for an academic showcase even without baseball for some of the schools there.  He also had interest from a school that just based on what we know about it would seem like he would never get in - which we did not pursue.  In the end he picked a school where we really worried about him getting in but the coaches said "he's right where we need him" grades wise.  

I'm not totally sure if it's even possible to draw conclusions from one players situation (as you can tell from my rambling post) but the conclusion I came up with is not to be scared away by the "academic" label.