Skip to main content

Reply to "Perfect Game Collegiate Summer League"

hokieone posted:

MLB and pro scouts tell us (Valley) to list players by what they will be in the fall following their summer season as that's what matters draft-wise. That's how VBL rosters are done. We also had pro scouts tells us it was not a good thing to allow graduated high school seniors to play, so we don't. They felt that in some fashion it "lessened" the league.  Overwhelmingly, the Valley has mostly D I players, a decent number of D II's, and  some D III's.   The league MVP this past summer from Charlottesville was a D III that had one heck of a summer. D III's had been getting to be small in number but it seems the pendulum is swing back a little.  

I like your reply, the reason being that there are so many players already in programs who are looking for opportunities and can't find them. Or maybe there are so many summer leagues now, that they have trouble filling roster spots?

While I feel that playing in a summer league program is important, it's more important that young pitchers are monitored closely even before they begin their college career. It's very important to know who will be coaching your pitcher and the teams approach to managing pitchers.

JMO