Skip to main content

Reply to "Perfect Game event questions"

PGStaff posted:

We do not list coaches and scouts because we don't pay them to be there.  It means a lot more when they actually want to be there to see the players and spend money to be there.  Seeing that we never pay them, it is impossible to know who will be at any event for sure.

All showcases are not the same, including ours.  We will be doing some June showcases that have few scouts and colleges attend.  We will also be doing some that will have scouts from every MLB club and most all the top college programs in the country in attendance.  We have had specific plays at showcases that have made ESPN Sports Center top 10.  We have streamed entire showcases. Most of the very best players in the country, those drafted in the first round or going to top college programs have played in these showcases. It's been that way for a long time.

I think playing in the tournaments can be great for many players.  But everyone, including us, is going to know a lot more about an individual from a showcase.  We can see a player at an event with zero scouts and zero college coaches and if he is talented enough he is going to create a lot of interest.  We have earned a great reputation for knowing what level a player is capable of contributing and which colleges would be interested.  Once in awhile we make mistakes, but not very often.

It is all about talent, though I read where some think it is about size, speed, power, velocity, etc.  Talent can't be defined by one or two things.  You could have a player that is big and strong and runs like a deer, but he can't play baseball, because he lacks the necessary skills.  He might develop them later on, but for now he is well behind the little guy that can really play.  Those that can really play and have the necessary tools really standout.

I know some say... All things being equal, they always take the big guy.  I understand that and it kind of makes sense.  However, all things being equal hardly ever happens.

Thanks, PGStaff!  Again the recruiting landscape is foreign to us (as a parent), so your input is invaluable!  Regarding the evaluations, will Mike be given a good idea of the level of play he is best suited for in those evaluations?  Or, is it strictly an objective recitation of the skills he displayed?  Does that make sense?  His list of colleges is not even close to being narrowed down (other than by desired major, architecture).  And as a parent, we want to balance dreams and realities.  As a coach for 34 years, I'd like to think I have a good idea of where he belongs, but...well...I am his dad.  His catching instructor believes he has D1 ability, but it would all depend on program and fit.  The PG "voice" would be helpful.