Skip to main content

Reply to "Perfect Game Grading System"

#1 Assistant Coach posted:
PABaseball posted:

The answer to the original question is YES. 

I think PG is the best; both as a baseball site and as a baseball service. The only area I can really knock them in is their showcases. I have seen a good amount of kids getting cut from varsity, but have a 7/7.5 displayed on their profile. Even in the write-ups - a player might have a 7.5 score but only throw 78 mph as a junior. The stats don't fit the grade and the grade doesn't fit the "prospect equivalent" 

A kid throwing 78mph will get a PG Grade of 7.5.  A kid throwing 80mph gets an 8.0

A kid throwing 72mph will get a 7.0.  Etc   I firmly believe 80% of the grade is velo.  It’s that simple.

Sounds like you have an above average HS team?   My HS varsity has 18 players.    If they all went to a PG showcase tomorrow?

9.0  (1)

8.0  (2)

7.5  (5)

7.0  (10)

And this is a good year!!  Next year?  All 7 - 7.5 at best.  

I think the grades are fairly standardized, but in my opinion the application in any particular high school is going to be so variable that no conclusions can be drawn in terms of playing time, etc.

My son's high school team only has a couple of kids in the 2018 - 2020 classes who have done a PG showcase. One got an 8.5 and he is a regular in the lineup, usually bats 6th. The other one got a 9.0 last summer and he hasn't been able to earn playing time yet (one inning pitched, 5 at bats so far -- all in blowouts -- and we're 20+ games into the season).