Skip to main content

Reply to "Perfect game vs PBR"

In Florida PBR spends a lot of time conducting summer tryouts for HS level travel ball teams or travel ball team work out days. The travel ball coaches invite PBR to these team tryouts (with all the technology, etc) and charge parents between $200 - $300 per player. If the travel coaches did not have PBR present, I am sure the tryout fee would be $50 or less. In the end, I am sure PBR Florida is getting a cut of the tryout fee times a hundred or two hundred kids. As a result they beholden to the travel ball coaches, because the travel ball coaches allow them to participate in the team events. As a result, I've seen write ups of the coaches kid or "friends of the coach" all the time. This is not objective analysis, but instead a clear conflict of interest. Last year I went to a team tryout and witnessed "a friend of the coach" not run or throw, but roll over on five ground balls and was highlighted on the website for an outstanding tryout. I was amazed but not surprised. In addition, I remember seeing a kid ranked in the mid 70's earlier this year, then he committed to a P5 school, and in the next ranking release move to the mid 20's. Did the P5 influence PBR's decisions? How could they have ranked him so low and then move him up 50 notches in one rankings release? Was PBR out to lunch when they evaluated him? People pay these people at PBR a lot of money for objective unbias analysis and I see a lot of games being played out there. I am not sure about PG, but it has to better than PBR