Skip to main content

Reply to "Perfect Game WWBA All-tourney team"

TPM posted:

As far as this all tourney team, which is it, 400, 1700, 7IP, 1 IP, 0 IP, elite, non elite, This list means absolutely nothing, but I guess for some it must mean something!

And no doubt it's all churned out electronically. 

That's seems too cynical to me.  I assume the team is selected by sorting the stats--no one could see more than a tiny fraction of players at any given WWBA.  But isn't that true of most awards chosen from a large pool of players--All-American status, for instance?

At bottom the designation means a player had a good week (or one or two good pitching starts), and the competition he faced may have been quite different than that faced by others.  So yes, it has limited import.  But why not recognize good performances in a high-profile event?  For many players, the WWBA is the highlight of the summer baseball season.  

The new criteria screen out my son this year, although he had a good week.  That's fine with me--it's good that PG is tightening things a bit.  In past years, the WWBA all-tournament team included so many players that it was hard to see it as much of an honor.