Skip to main content

Reply to "Perfect Game WWBA All-tourney team"

I agree it means nothing in the long run but it, like all honors, is recognition.  I would say all honors that I know of really come down to stats by someone.  It is nice for players to get recognized.   It is partly the incentive to continue to work hard.  I understand but somewhat disagree with the mindset of scouts looking at velocity over pitchability.  I think it is a lot harder to teach a player to throw strikes than it is to teach a player to increase velocity.  A good pitcher will get outs at any level but I think it is very difficult to teach a guy who just throws hard to get it around the plate.  I noticed one player who was well recognized last week for his velocity had to drop 6 mph's to throw strikes.  At his top velocity, which was very well documented and should be, he could not get it within 5 feet of the plate.  They talked about players batting against him and the struggle.  The struggle was he hit the first and fourth batters at upper 90s and walked the second and third.  The problem was nobody wanted to get hit at upper 90s lack of control.  He had to come down to 92-93 to even throw a strike.  That may be hard to fix on a regular basis but you can bet he will be drafted and high.