Skip to main content

Reply to "Perfect Game WWBA All-tourney team"

TPM posted:

That's good if  it's becoming more selective and I am sure that parents enjoy seeing that info, but I don't think that scouts and coaches could care less, my point.

I guess some will argue thats why stats need to be more accurate.

BTW, what exactly IS the criteria.

I asked about the criteria in an earlier post in this thread--so far as I know, PG doesn't publish them.  The pitching list has changed a few times over the past few days, but when last I looked it appears the screen was at least 5 IP and an ERA of 2 or lower.  I haven't done any sorts on the list of hitters.

I think folks want the stats to be right for multiple reasons:  One is just pride of accomplishment--if you went 2 for 3, you don't want the stats to show 1-for-3.  I also think PG's online info is the best-known data set out there on HS players, and no one wants to be shortchanged if RCs or scouts look them up.  So I understand when people get agitated, but I try to keep it in perspective.  (I thought a hit charged to my son as a P should have been an error.  It happens.)

IMO, individual honors/stats are all about that fine line we want our children to walk as members of athletic teams (and in life):  A player should want to be the best he can and to win whatever accolades he can.  Wanting to be acknowledged for success is good to the extent it motivates hard work and achievement.  BUT, that drive shouldn't be at the expense of helping one's team win.  Different folks draw that line in different places, for sure, but I'm all for a kid being proud to be all-tournament.