Skip to main content

Reply to "Pete Rose deserves HOF"

quote:
Originally posted by Hopperhop:
quote:
Regardless, in my opinion, had Bart Giamatti known at the time what was in MLB's future, I doubt that a lifetime ban would have been forthcoming...maybe a suspension along the lines of the present day penalty for drug offenders. MLB has foregiven the recent likes of Giambi, Pettitte, Manny, and A-Rod (like it or not) for crimes no less severe than that of Rose...high time to extend him the same compassion and courtesy...he's been punished enough

Although we can all talk about how Pete Rose's "crime" was not as bad as the those by the players who use steroids we must remember one thing. Gambling related issues almost ruined the game of baseball due to the 1919 scandal. For that reason, I feel that any gambling related infraction will always be delt with more harshly than other infractions. He was a manager when he was making the bets, so he was not out of the game.

The reason for having to harshly deal with this, even when he only made bets for the Reds to win, is that he is the manager and he did have control of the outcome of the game. As Brickhouse stated, just because he bet for his team doesn't mean that it doesn't jeopardize the integrity of the sport.

We must also remember that he was in deep debt to some of the people that he was laying the bets with. Say for instance that the Reds did make the playoffs. We then have the possiblity of 1919 all over again. The only difference is that this time the game being thrown would be being controlled by the manager, not the players. MLB will do everything in it's power to make sure that this never happens again by making and, in my opinion, never removing lifetime bans for gambling related infractions.

There is no question that Pete Rose is one of the best baseball players of all times, not many people would argue that. His not being in the Hall of Fame does not alter this fact, it only means that he is not being "officially" honored for his great career as a player.

First of all, over the past century, the only Congressional hearings I recall dealt with the issue of steroids in baseball. Thus, I would contend that the rampant use of steroids and PEDs have posed a greater threat to major league baseball than gambling.

Second, I don't know of any manager at the major league level that had ultimate control over the outcome of a game. Maybe on the losing end, but never on the winning end.

Third, your "Say for instance that..." is purely hypothetical and unsupported by fact which I would like to stick to. Once agian, Rose was never accused of throwing anything. Let's keep the opinions on point whether we agree on them or not.