Skip to main content

Reply to "Pete Rose In The Hall Of Fame???"

I think the whole gist of the Rose arguement is not confusing character flaws or integrity issues with what Pete rose did when he violated Baseball's most sacred law--DO NOT EVER GAMBLE ON BASEBALL if you want to be involved in the sport. He was one of my favorite players as a teen but he turned out to be the only guy in the last 80 years who was dumb enough, arrogant enough, and selfish enough to spit in all the fans faces who just ask for one thing from professional baseball games--that they be on the level. Even having said that, I might could forgive him if he had showed one shred of remorse but with him its still always about the money. The Hall doesn't mean enough to him to change the way he lives so why should I care about whether he gets in while he's alive. America loves to tear its heroes down and then build them back up but this guys so selfish and dumb he doesn't realize that he would already be in the Hall if he had just admitted his mistake in the beginning and showed just a tiny bit of true remorse. Pete Rose signed the lifetime ban so until his life is over it ought to stand. And please stop arguing that everyone gambles. Baseball doesn't have rules against betting on horse racing, dog racing, or poker playing. If a player wants to go play blackjack or shoot craps in Vegas baseball says knock youself out. But there is one rule that has been posted in every Major League clubhouse for decades and that is quite simply--Don't bet on baseball or there will be consequences.