Skip to main content

Reply to "PG 17U WWBA /National Academic /Sunshine Northeast /Atlantic Coast Top Prospect"

Redbird,

Thanks for the explanation, good one BTW.  Often I want to say some of the same things, but am afraid it would come off the wrong way and people would think I am BSing.

Phanatic,

Sounds like your son could create some interest.  So much depends on the other things once the velocity is recognized.  Is that 86-88 look like the end or does it look like there is more to come in the near future?  Are the other pitches usable now and how much can they improve? Can he pitch?

I can tell you that in the past we have seen some mid 80 types that we like more than some 90+ guys.  I can guarantee you that we are not alone and many college recruiters see things the same way.  Unfortunately, it is a bit different when it comes to professional scouts.  But everyone, including the pro scouts,  have to deal with the same thing.  They have to predict how good someone will be in the future.  It's not easy, but there are many ways to be somewhat accurate.  Body type, arm action, arm speed, athleticism, makeup, mechanics, bloodlines, feel, poise, etc. It is a very long list of indicators as to what might happen in the future.  It's not always a what you see is what you will get thing.  Then again, there are times that what you see might be so good that it is enough without much projection.