Skip to main content

Reply to "PG Fall Academic Showcase"

I agree with CTBBALLDAD, going to a PG event with an arm that sits 77 - 86 is not going to turn any heads (unless you are a lefty, of course). The reality of it is, unless you are on an elite national team that is stacked with hard throwers, most team are filled with guys who are just as I described. So why do so many show up at PG tournaments then? Because the PG marketing machine is effective. Wanna play college or pro ball, you gotta get to our tournaments and showcases to be seen!

When my son went to the 2017 PG WWBA 17U, the average fastball there was something like 81-82. The event drew a lot of big-time players/travel clubs and major schools came to see those guys, but don't think for a minute they were there looking at anyone else unless it was pre-arranged. It just isn't likely. But I have to think that as more "marginal" players stay in the game of baseball longer due to the increase in number of travel teams available to play for, that the coaches see the events becoming watered down. There may soon come a time when you see coaches typically only at the main wood bat tournaments in the summer, and very few attending Fall tournaments...just the guys who really have holes to fill or who are D2/3 NAIA etc. Some will argue that it's better for the game that kids stay around longer as some develop later, etc. But I tend to think that most of the guys who are identified earlier on tend to get those college spots, not the late bloomers per se.

My son had a few friends he has played with over the years have recruiting success at both Headfirst events and AZ Sr. Fall Classic events. His own recruiting was jump started at an AZ Jr Fall Classic in 2017. He also has had friends who have done all of those things and not had any recruiting success.