Skip to main content

Reply to "PG Fall National Prospect Showcase Invite"

PGStaff posted:

Sorry but I have to say something.  PG is focused on DI, DII, NAII and JUCO, in other words the places where athletic scholarships exist.  I understand that there is a lot of academic money available, but that is available with or without baseball in many cases.

I doubt if there are many graded 9 or higher that are struggling to get interest.  Possibly it could involve grades or other things when that happens.  It isn't because of ability.

I can say with complete confidence that the higher levels of college baseball, their rosters are dominated by kids that have participated in PG events.  Especially those East of the Rocky Mountains.  In last year's College World Series the championship game had one player on the two rosters that did not attend a PG event.  In fact the Champion Florida roster had attended a total of about 150 PG events.

That said, PG also is very much geared towards the MLB draft.  Over 80% of the entire draft over the past decade has attended PG events.  As of today, and that number grows quickly there are nearly 1,100 players that have attended PG events and have played in the Major Leagues.  This includes the best players in the game.  Harper, Bryant, Posey, Lindor, Correa, Trout, Kershaw, Rizzo, Seager, Kluber, Machado, McCutchen, Votto, Arenado, Donaldson, Bumgarner, I could go on forever. 

Point is, we have a large number of kids that end up at DIII colleges, but our goal is to find the very best players in the country.  Even if they happen to end up at a DIII baseball power.  We have very little interest in just filling enrollments at Weak DIII programs that don't care much about talent and don't develop.  We don't pay college coaches to work PG events, yet we get more of them to attend than anyone. They come to recruit student/athletes, not just students.  They come and spend money to find the best possible players, they're not coming to get a paycheck and fulfill enrollment quotas.  Where there is talent, there is MLB scouts.  These scouts work closely with college baseball at all levels.  The more talent, the more highest level scouts.  It's just the way baseball works.

Then there is the database, which we have by far the largest in all of baseball.  The most information about players available to the entire scouting and recruiting world.  Also by far the most used by those people.  When an event ends, our work is far from done.  Our job is to identify talent and make players visible to decision makers, even if those coaches or scouts didn't attend the event.  We have MLB clubs paying a lot of money to have access to that database. College programs that sort information to narrow down their search.  It is what we do and we have developed a very good reputation over the past 23 years.

We have been contacted by colleges asking if we pay for them to come to showcases.  We really don't want them if that is the main reason to attend.  And we don't want players that can't play. Nothing against those kids, but we can't help them, we can't make them happy they attended.  Luckily, we don't see very many like that.

There is no doubt, that some very talented players have never attended a PG event.  Some that have never attended PG, Area Codes, East Coast Pro, or USABaseball.  All PG events are not the same, some are much higher level than others.  However, we have found future first rounders at some of the less high level events. We have a lot of kids playing in the Ivy League, people can easily check the rosters and see for themselves.  There are lots of kids that have found their way on college rosters without attending PG events.  We are not the only route to take.  We might not even be the best route in some cases.  I really like the HeadFirst model, it really makes sense for many high academic type kids.  I like the Under Amour All American game.  I like the things USABaseball does.  I like Area Codes and East Coast Pro.  I like what PBR does in many areas.  I like a lot of different things that are available to young players.  There are some other events that are very good.  I do have to say that there are many events that aren't worth a damn.

I have often said that I don't participate here to promote PG.  I know it doesn't make much difference what people say about PG on a message board.  It just doesn't seem to make any difference in our growth.  It's just that I want people to know the truth from someone that is involved in all of it, every day of the year.

Sorry, for explaining what so many people already know very well, but just wanted to separate the oranges from the apples. Knowing that some prefer oranges and some prefer apples.

Couple grains of salt please?