Skip to main content

Reply to "PG Fall National Prospect Showcase Invite"

Gov posted:

PG grades help increase exposure.  If a player has a very tight list of targeted schools an improved PG grade will be helpful as a cross reference; the college coaches look at everything, especially with a player they haven't seen actually play.  Both PG and PBR. They're filters.  

If a player goes to a high academic camp and the coaches like him, they will look up PG or PBR as a cross reference.  They'll use it as a resource to further evaluate that player.  Because they will need to see him in real competition, especially position players.

It's a different process when a kid has a very targeted college list - going to regional or that colleges camps.  If a kid has no clue where he wants to go and keeps improving his skill set he should continue to try to improve his PG grade.  It can only help..

At some point you're dealing with the growth curve and projectability of the kid and finances of the parents.

This is a valuable perspective.  I will add (in general as to the value of PG, this doesn't apply to the OP whose son is a senior) that getting invited to the PG National or Jr National is a tremendous opportunity that can open a ton of doors to a Power 5 D1 and/ or Pro Baseball.  PG generally needs to see a player to extend that invite, through Showcases/Tournaments etc

For a 2018 with a 8.5 already and uncommitted, I can understand the thought of "time is running out".  It is easy for me, as a Dad of a 2021 who "might" attend his first PG showcase as a rising Soph if he is ready, to sit here and give out advice.  My kid has time.

OP if your son wants to go and feels he has dramatically improved since last attending a PG event, I would have him go.  I would also have him continue the conversations with the school's he is interested in and get in front of them at their camps.  You'll want to continue to take a multi-prong approach to exposure for him. Leave no stone unturned.

Last edited by 3and2Fastball