Skip to main content

Reply to "PG Grade/Top Prospect List Chances?"

PGStaff posted:

I don't think it is necessary to name names without their consent. I would hope reputation alone would be enough. There is nothing you will ever find that I have ever posted that is untrue.  I would never take a chance on that.

But just to prove a point, seeing you have indirectly accused me of stretching the truth... Roy Clark, at that time with the Washington Nationals, was the scouting exec that called. Usually these calls before the draft are more about what we might know about a certain players makeup.  Sometimes about what we might have seen.  After all, many of these players we have been following for years and have actually seen them more than most scouting departments.  This player, Drew Ward from Oklahoma was a junior that reclassified to a senior before the draft.  Being a junior he was not followed as closely as the top draft eligible players.  Everything else written about that incident is factual.  In fact, Roy called me a couple years later and said your draft pick is doing very well.  Kind of an inside joke. BTW, Washington didn't have a first round or second round pick that year. so their third round pick was their first pick. 

I will give one player example... He was a late add on recruit at Clemson when Sully (Now Florida head coach) was the recruiting guy at Clemson.  Sully asked if we knew of any pitcher capable of helping them because they needed to fill that roster spot at the last minute due to unforeseen reasons.  We suggested a kid not many had ever seen from an area rarely scouted in far northern Wisconsin.  They (Clemson) took a chance on that kid.  He was a 6 foot RHP named Jason Berken.  I believe he was an All American at Clemson and he ended up pitching in the Big leagues for a few years.

Trust is earned over many years. People would be shocked if they knew how many questions we get from Scouting Directors and College recruiters.

I appreciate your willingness to name names, but you are saying these guys never laid eyes on these players before a draft of offering a scholarship? I just find that implausible that is the case. This is a kid that just a quick look at your website shows that he was on your national radar from June of 2011 at your junior nationals with a grade of ten. He was in two national games and two junior national showcases. What you are trying to get me to believe is that the Washington Nationals never had a scout lay eyes on him in those 4 showcases, but drafted him based on your recommendation with their first pick of the ? And nobody on their staff attended any of the 8 Perfect Game events that he participated before being drafted? None of his staff attended the 2011 Area Code Games in which he played for the Chicago White Sox team? None of his staff noticed the 6'4" 200 pound kid playing shortstop in the 2011 PG National Games in August 2011 and PG Junior Nationals 2011, same in both events in 2012? It's just a little hard to believe.

BTW, Washington had a 2nd rd pick by the name of Jake Johansen they took that year ahead of Ward in the 3rd round, just to refresh your memory.