Skip to main content

Reply to "PG scout notes (stats)"

I agree and it doesn't matter the age of the scorekeeper.  I watched a game the other day and at the end the scorekeeper was off by 12 pitches which is good for the pitcher being able to come back a day early if needed.  The guy was talking to the fans and scouts and missed a whole at bat.  He asked someone what happened and they said strikeout swinging.  He put three strikes swinging in the computer and moved on.  The batter actually fouled four off and took three balls.

I also do not believe the radar guns are close at times.  The same game had a kid throwing a 88 mph fastball and a 79 mph fastball in the same inning when a scout had the 79 at 87.  It is consistently wrong.  I will agree that at this point it is about entertainment not for scouts.  If they want validity for scouts they have a long way to go and I don't think it is feasible to get there without major overhauls.

The articles are ridiculous because it also comes down to the guys who go to their individual showcases.   I read one on a kid that played with my son who rolled one over to third, easy popup to second, and watched three strikes.  The writeup was that he had a great game hitting the ball hard.  The Player of the Year awards were funny because I know one kid who had better pitching and hitting stats than anyone on the first team but had only played PG tournaments and not PG showcases so he was on second team.  The Player of the Year for that state was a kid who had just been to a showcase.  I know they have to promote the showcase kids because those are the ones paying the money but don't make it out that they are the best from high school.  They are the best from that state that paid for your showcase fee.   At least look at the other awards given by organizations that specifically cover high school regular season before you give awards.

I'm not bashing PG.  I still believe they are the best product out there but I do not believe they are trying to get better at the stats and articles for the tournaments.  They are just focusing on the showcases.  I know it is harder at the tournaments but it is feasible.  I'm with Wareagle on the fact that it is not scouting reports when it comes to tournaments, it is just promotion.  Again, best product out there but don't settle.  Continue to get better and I'm not seeing that.  You make way too much money to not be twice as good as everyone else.