Skip to main content

Reply to "PG scout notes (stats)"

wareagle posted:

...scout notes written about players or games that do not match the performance or what actually happens in the game.  I believe they often have a list of players they want to write up and then just write what they think people want to hear regardless if a kids results aren’t as advertised that day....

You wrote this at the beginning.

Without seeing specifically what you're talking about - I still think that comment shows you're overly focused on stats/results.  Scout notes would be more reflective of a given player as a prospect, not whether he had a good day at the plate or on the bump.  An Oh-fer day isn't really very relevant for a young Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, or future solid college player (not even necessarily a star).

Scout notes would be about how they see a 17-year old projecting into a college or pro player.  Not about yesterday's results.

To give you an example, the current (possibly all star) right fielder for the Seattle Mariners had a statistically bad junior year in HS.  Not really even a very good his senior year.  But boy-oh-boy if you saw him play you knew he was pretty darned good.  Thats why every school on the West Coast recruited him and he was eventually drafted in the 1st round.  His "results" on a given day in HS or even travel ball weren't so good, but his athleticism, his arm, his foot speed and even his swing were all well above good.

So would many other dads have been frustrated about a positive writeup on him back then?  I don't know, but I suspect there are at least a few dads in Northern California wondering how that kid who struck out 3 times in a game against their 85 mph pitcher son could've been drafted so high...and made it to the big leagues.

The type of write-up you would've seen on him those two years, based on the things you seem to want the write-up to say...wouldn't have been indicative at all of the player scouts knew he would become.  But I assure you that whatever writeup existed back then would have have been good...and made some other parents wonder if they were just writing what others wanted to hear...as you say.  They just would've been wrong...the other parents that is.

Last edited by justbaseball