Skip to main content

Reply to "PG scout notes (stats)"

A lot of people spend too much money on sports too soon. Then they get upset with the venues when it doesn’t pan out. You can’t purchase talent. 

I’ll start with the disclaimer I played D1 ball. It gave me a head start on baseball knowledge. It gave my kids a head start genetically. I provided the instruction for my kids as their coach.

It wasn't until high school when it was obvious my kids had genuine talent that I started spending money. They both went to speed camp to become faster. They were already fast. My son had his swing changed after soph year of high school. He was already a good hitter. He had to have it beaten into his head with reps not to pull everything. There were times to drive the ball the other way. 

My kids played on travel teams before showcasing I coached (with other former dad college players) for minimal cost.** Their 17u (baseball) and 18u (softball) teams that traveled the East Coast were heavily subsidized. His scout league team was free/sponsored by a former MLBer.

When I see parents pouring out 5k per year starting at 10u I just shake my head.

** I met a dad who didn’t know baseball who found qualified dad coaches and put together a team for his son to play on. He was GM. He did all the recruiting, organization and paper work. All the coaches had to do was coach. 

Last edited by RJM