Skip to main content

Reply to "PG scout notes (stats)"

But, back to the original topic, I haven’t really seen anyone dispute the fact that PG does a subpar job in reporting and especially stats.  As a paying customer, I would like to see an effort to improve this aspect of the business ( for my benefit as a customer regardless of whether it matters to scouts)

This is understandable. And correct if I'm wrong but the scorekeepers are mostly college kids home for the summer. They're trying to make a few easy bucks watching baseball. I think it's safe to say they don't really care about your sons average fastball velocity or if that was a hit/error. Add that to the fact that they start at 7:30 am and cook in that sun all day watching the same thing, in the same spot until the last game. I'm not defending them or ragging on them, just calling it like it is. I doubt these guys are making the big bucks and I doubt they care. Should it be better? Of course. But in order to get the games moving and prevent teams from playing at 1am, they are not going to take the time to calibrate the radar guns and they are not going to rotate personnel every 4 innings.

If we're being honest, we all know it's not about the stats, it's about seeing how hard our kids are throwing/how hard the opposing pitcher is throwing against them. If it's honestly about the stats, game changer is free. I use game changer for stats and stand behind home when I want to see a pitchers velocity. 

As for the write ups. Yeah they're off from time to time, without a doubt. But in my opinion this is more about pushing a brand than accurately reporting scout notes. It makes the sight look more like a scouting hub than a tournament host. It adds a sense of legitimacy (not that they need it) ~Here's what the scouts are saying about the best players, who happen to be at our tournament ~ You get the picture.