Skip to main content

Reply to "PG scout notes (stats)"

GaryMe posted:

I'd like to make the point also that many people on here who have had kids go thru the recruiting process and who ended up at D1 and D2 schools will address criticism of PG with "it's not for everyone" and other similar justifications that come off like "well, if you're not a D1 stud you should not be playing at a PG event." I'm paraphrasing, but I have seen posts in line with this.

My counter-argument to that is that if the teams who went to WWBA and similarly billed "best of the best" events only had guys playing in it who are D1 or pro prospects, your field of teams would be about 25% of what it is now. PG has to "sell the dream" to the other 98.5% that old school references above or else their business goes INTO THE TOILET. If you don't believe me, just go out and look at the rosters of the teams in the 17U WWBA and see how many committed players (95% accurate according to bacdorslider) are on a random sampling of teams. Far more teams have no committed players or less than 5 committed D1 guys that who have a roster like the Canes National 17U with virtually every player committed. Get rid of those players who aren't committed and you will have a much smaller, way more competitive tournament. You will also not make any money.

PG relies on kids who will never play college baseball to maintain their profits. They can't maintain their current profitability without those player and teams. The parents of that caliber players would have to wise up to impact that...but they are hoping to catch the eye of that low D1, D2 school for their kids, so they don't. Only what, 6% of kids play college ball? Take those 94% of kids who won't away from the PG tournaments and you can hold it on probably 5 fields.

I agree with your statements... Area Code and East Coast pro are free to the players invited.