Skip to main content

Reply to "PG scout notes (stats)"

old_school posted:
RJM posted:
GaryMe posted:
PitchingFan posted:

i think it is a true which team is best tournament.  Everybody is stacking pitching this week.  Noticed several new players on rosters that were not at WWBA with the same teams.

Which begs the question: why? If these aren't the guys who got you there, then does winning a tournament really matter so much that you add guys from other programs just to try to win it? What does it get you? I know, you're competing against the best out there. But if your team wins it with hired guns, did your team really win it?

I dropped in to see the facilities of an academy that invited my son to play 17u for them. The Upton brothers names were on the wall among other major leaguers. Then I saw the names or two kids I had played college summer ball with their dads. At the time they were playing for a SEC powerhouse. They didn’t live within 400 miles. The Upton brother lived 275 miles away. 

I called one of the friends. His son was recruited at a regional PG event to play one tournament at East Cobb for the academy. Playing for the acedemy was free. All he had to do was get there. So not only was the academy throwing their players under the bus. They were throwing paying players under the bus. 

Academies load up rosters because the trophies and names on the wall attract those who don’t ask questions. 

There is a legitimate reason to add pitchers. A tournament may be longer than a typical weekend . The team needs more pitchers so they don’t overuse their pitchers. 

RJM,

With all due respect you are way behind. The vast majority of top teams if not all of them operate this way, the ages act like a pyramid of talent condensing to the top few handfuls of teams on a national level. I don't have an opinion or care about right or wrong, it is just the way it is. There is no loyalty or training, just come swear by the colors if we think you are good enough.

Kid tosses great game somewhere VS a big boy and the next month shows up with them wearing the uniform.

Travel Baseball and by extension college baseball have been ugly nasty places covered up with smoke, mirrors and apple pie for years. it is just the way it is.

100% correct