Skip to main content

Reply to "PG National Showcase"

The overwhelming majority of college baseball players play in their home state or a bordering state. It’s something like 75% or more. I think. The first thing you have to ask is if the appropriate audience of coaches will be at this event. If it’s a bunch of D1 coaches and your son doesn’t have draft talent you would be wasting your time. If your son is a JuCo prospect you would be wasting your time. National Showcase events by PG probably aren’t going to help your son get recruited. My son attended the same event in Houston years ago. It was an absolute joke. Event was conducted in a driving rainstorm. Metrics were recorded by local kids working for minimum wage. Write ups were done by inexperienced PG employees who didn’t possess the knowledge to evaluate players. I could go on. But my son never attended another PG event other than WWBA and that didn’t do anything for him either. For context my son was very good HS player that PBR ranked highly (which also did nothing to help him). He turned into an elite JuCo player (according to Collegiate Baseball). He was committed to a top 20 D1 team when an injury ended his career. He did not have draft talent and most of his offers after tremendous JuCo stats were from really good D2 programs. That’s how tough it was in 2020. It’s even worse now. Especially for HS seniors.
  I suggest that you read the “Transfer Portal” thread carefully and gain a good understanding of what is happening at the higher levels of college baseball. And how that is impacting all the levels below it. It’s more important than ever to be playing in front of the right audience. And it’s more important than ever to figure out who your “right audience” is early on in the HS years.