Skip to main content

Reply to "PG? Or anyone ? Help with Area Code Tryouts"

I will add our experience in 2008. Yes the stands were packed with scouts,college coaches, so what. They only talk to one another, no one to my knowledge said a peep to our son. As far as who is allowed to watch, there is extra room for the casual baseball fan, I do not recall ever being asked whether we had a player there. I think anyone who wants to pay can go. Yes the games are free for the players, but the costs to go, like flying, motels, etc are not. The scouts are mainly concerned with the real draft prospects, and the D1 commits. In other words the starters were the A players and the replacements were the B players,(our son,) kids who are good ballplayers, but no college has offered yet. Our son was seen at the tryouts, not the actual Area Code games by his current school. He was recruited from the tryout. If you can at least get invited to the tryout, you get more bang for the buck. He got very little response from being at the Area Code games. In the seminar the speaker mentioned that "most" of you will be drafted, that was not the case. They did provide information on the draft process. The best time son had was going to the beach. There were players there that already had their ticket punched to the big show, you already knew who they were. I met the one kid who we all watched at the Little League World series, he signed for more $$ than I will make in a lifetime. Talent, what can I say.