Skip to main content

Reply to "PG? Or anyone ? Help with Area Code Tryouts"

I cannot speak for how the Reds run their tryouts in the four corners region, but for northern California, a player must be recommended by an MLB affiliated scout in order to receive an invitation to the tryout, which is usually held right at the beginning of July. The Milwaukee Brewers handle California (though there is some speculation that they may drop one team which will go to another national league club to select and run) and they have the final say on who receives a tryout invitation. This is not to be mistaken with an invitation to the Area Code Camps, which cost money and are held the day before the actual tryout. The actual tryout is free of charge, and by invitation only.

Players are given the opportunity to attend ONE tryout, and if selected from that tryout, may be asked to attend the southern CA tryout, or simply put on a team. I do not believe that any club allows a player to attend multiple tryouts.

With regard to players who end up on teams from outside their region, the players I'm familiar with were invited because of a close relationship with the club who offered them a spot. As an example, our dearly departed friend, Doug McMillan, used to help run the Washington Nationals team out of the Pacific Northwest. Doug invited one of our summer players from the Sacramento area to join his AC team after the Brewers had passed on him, as Doug had followed this kid for some time, and liked him as a pro prospect. The Oakland A's did this with another local kid last summer, but he's a prospect that they have interest in, and wanted to see him play so when the Brewers passed on him, the A's gave him a slot on their team.