Skip to main content

Reply to "PG Profile - Schools Interested In"

For the 10,000th time: YOU CAN'T GAME THE SYSTEM.

What you can do is have the highest academics/scores as each respective kid can (i.e., meeting your individual academic POTENTIAL) + the highest baseball skills as each respective kid can develop (i.e., meeting your baseball POTENTIAL).

A coach seeing a kid who fits those two criteria will make an attempt to learn more. A coach HEARING about such a kid will learn more. 

When S was recruited, we (as a family, but with parental veto rights) had decided which school types were acceptable. Our decision didn't stop dozens of other schools from reaching out either in person or by phone - big, little, D1, D2, D3, NAIA, rural, city, north, west, close, across the country - to sell their program. (And the best, most long lasting coaches, can sell snow to Alaskans.)

(He was a 5' 11" 155 lb LHP who sat 88 - 91 who developed late junior year, didn't attend showcases (except HF and Stanford), and didn't play travel ball (except for scout ball).

Now, we did "demonstrate interest" to our top choices by actually visiting the schools over breaks and holidays extending over several years. As part of the visits, S (alone) would head to the baseball offices to see if he could speak to a coach - and many times he actually did. But the purpose of these visits was to get him to focus on each school's differences and similarities and therefore "own" the final decision.

(And, keep in mind that college choices evolve; I've known kids who began the search KNOWING they wanted to remain close to home and matriculating to a college across the country- and reverse.)

All a family can do is control what can be controlled: academics and baseball skills. The rest evolves and is outside a family's control (i.e., who contacts the kid).