Skip to main content

Reply to "PG Staff question"

As I read this post and the college pitching coach post, it makes me wonder just how many high school players have the opportunity to pick and choose based on coaches and trainers and facilities, etc. What I mean is how many multiple offer players are out there that can pick and choose what school they will attend? Is it the top 200, 500, 1000 HS players?

There are so many factors of what school your son will be able to attend, with the offer(s) being the real factor that in the end narrows the choice down. Some of these factors include:

Academic acceptance
Distance from home/Region of choice
Number of competing players that are being recruited at your position
Number of rostered players at your position and are they leaving
Transfer players coming in
Early verbals taking up more and more spots from the traditional junior summer
Financial burden of attendance (which includes distance, out of state, etc.)
Match of majors offered
Prestige of the team (division, conference, W-L, reputation)
Coaches

When all the above factors are blended together, along with bona fide offers - the vast majority of players, let’s throw out a number of 90%, will have 2 or less options to choose from. The other 10% will have more than 2, and probably 2-3% can name their school of choice.

So after all the hand wringing is over, I see all this back and forth about where would you choose to go for 90% of the players is really discovering your fit and becoming comfortable with it. We sure had fun doing it.