Skip to main content

Reply to "PG Staff question"

samian, there are many thousand-plus posters on this forum whose sons were/are not STUD players - me included. I don't think anyone has a problem with your questions - it is perhaps the way you have been asking them. You seem combative and defensive, and a little humility and teachability (especially from a newbie such as yourself) goes a long way on this site.

I know what it is to make financial sacrifice and question how my hard-earned money is being spent. By mid-summer following my son's jr. year, we had to take out a 401K loan to ensure we were able to make it through the rest of the recruiting process.

Sure, we made some mistakes. We spent $600 to send our freshman son to the camp of a perennial CWS contender. What were we thinking??? We spent another $600 or so to send our son to a Big 12 camp after one of their volunteer asst. coaches called our son (before July 1) to say he'd him play at another camp (where he had also worked) and wanted to invite him to theirs. We were flattered and made the mistake of sending our son, where he got ZERO attention.

But we got some bang for our buck at other camps. The D1 where my son is currently playing started pursuing him big-time after he attended their camp and another D1 recommended our son to a feeder JUCO after he attended their camp showcase.

Interestingly, we view even the "wasted" dollars as money well-spent. Through the non-interest shown our son at certain camps, we learned he was NOT a valid prospect at UT or Oklahoma State and needed to lower his sights. We also learned that the local D1, which our son was very interested in, was not interested in him when he attended their camp, which helped redirect him to other possibilities.

Times are tough economically and I certainly understand parents' desire to be prudent in how they spend their money. The key is to ask lots of questions about various camps, schools, showcases, etc. before getting out your checkbook or credit card. If you ask the well-informed people on this message board, most likely you will get extremely helpful answers that will aid you in making wise spending decisions.

Best wishes to your son.
Last edited by Infield08