Skip to main content

Reply to "PG Staff question"

Whoa sir, just chill out a bit.

Unfortunetly most parents don't really have a plan to this recruting process, and this is a good place to learn from others experience, even yours.

Most parents also spend way more then they should, mostly because they feel their childs ability is far superior than to what it usually is, then when all is said and done, they are angry they didn't get any return on their investments. If one looks on it that way, no one would be happy. We all most likely all spend too much than we should.

I know JBB pretty well, I am pretty sure he's the type that feels that if you make a commitment to spending money, you do so because that is what you enjoy doing, regardless of what he thinks of his son's ability. I think he actually will tell you that his older player (now in professional ball) became a highly sought out player only AFTER he showed up at the right places. That's the key, getting someone to rate your son's ability, and having it done the right way. I think that he can relate to your situation more than you think because of his experiences.

As far as the PG rating, attending one of their showcases most likely can be the single most important thing one can do. This gives you the parent and the player an idea of how he rates and ranks with his peers. This can help set a plan for recruiting. The plan should include whether your player wants to stay close to home, fits that are good for him, academically as well as for baseball, etc. In other words, why shlep to every top D1 camp in the country if you would never have an opportunity to get recruited from there? There is honesty and dishonesty in recruiting and then there is reality. The only reason for attending top program camps should be because most have really good instruction and #1 it should be a learning experience. These coaches spend lots of money on traveling to find the right players for their programs, they do not need camps to recruit, but they do need the money too. Smaller programs with smaller budgets use camps to recruit. Many kids get recruited from camps, many don't, find out what you will get for what you are paying for. I think that was what JBB was saying in his post.
As far as you wanting your money back when there is a conflict, make sure you know the policy in advance, it's no one's fault but mother nature's if it rains that weekend. This helps you to plan in advance, which is what the recruiting experince is all about.
Actually this forum has less parents of elite players than you might expect, and because they have come here to learn, they have come away with rewarding experiences and thier players found the right fit, that is all that matters in the end.
Last edited by TPM