Skip to main content

Reply to "PG Sunshine East/Academic showcase"

We also attended the Academic Showcase and I’d echo Aleebaba synopsis.  I looked for you, but didn’t see anybody matching your given description!

I’ll add my own opinions:

Perfect Game ran the showcase in an efficient manner and followed the same format as a college prospect camp or a showcase from other organizations.  In my opinion, it was neither better nor worse than any other showcase.

The talent level was high.  Most of the attendees could hit and field their positions very well.

I personally saw scouts from Duke (head coach), Harvard, Navy, Cincinnati, Brown, Bethune-Cookman, Wofford, University of South Florida, Florida International University, and Alabama State University.  I know there were at least a few more; however, I couldn’t identify their schools.

The scouts had packages with rosters of each team.  Most of the scouts bounced around four of the five ball fields and watched portions of each game.  If they were interested in a particular player, they would circle the players name or number and jot down a few notes. I have no idea what they were looking for!  Some kids absolutely crushed the ball, but wouldn’t get any love from the scouts.

The pitchers were evaluated during the games.  Pitchers with secondary positions pitched three innings with an inning consisting of three outs or five batters.  A batter cannot walk and a hit batter was considered a ball.  If a pitcher threw four balls to a batter, the count was reset and the pitcher could only throw fastballs. A radar gun was placed behind home plate and the reading was easily visible by everybody.  Most scouts checked the radar readings at least once for each pitcher.

At least two PG staff members scored each game and took notes. Some notes were published in the post game “scout notes” posted online.  I don’t know how PG determines which notes to publish.  For example, I observed several players have very good at bats with good results; however, did not see their names in the “notes”.  The notes on the pitchers were similar.

According to my sons coach/mentor, showcases are not the way to go.  In his opinion, if a player wishes to play at a university or college, the player should attend the universities open camp or “prospect” camp.  After this weekend, I agree.  The PG showcase was a good experience and may get a player noticed IF they go 4-4 with two HR’s or pitches in the low 90’s.

My two cents!  See you on the ball field.