Skip to main content

Reply to "PG Sunshine East/Academic showcase"

just another observation.  my son is 2015 and was at the ss east pg showcase as a 2 way player.  my opinion is not to contradict nor imply the above post are not accurate through their eyes, but my opinion is a bit different.  this was our first pg showcase, but son has gone through usa trials last year and made it to cary on team mid atlantic.  i thought the pg experience was about what I/we expected.  we had no preconceived notions of being "discovered" at the showcase.  our reason for attending was to put up some measurables to see how son stacked up against some very good competitors.  i saw some very athletic kids that were fast, saw some great arms and saw some pretty impressive at bats in the simulation games we played.  what i personally think is someone who knows what they are looking for will recognize the talent.  i told my son to not worry about the result, but rather focus on the process.  in other words, control what you can and don't worry about the end result.  on his outfield throws, i told him to throw the heck out of the ball.  worry about velocity first and accuracy second.  this was advice i had read on this site when attending these type of events.  during the games, i saw some pretty good swings that not all resulted in great results.  but again, i think to someone who knows what they are looking for the mechanically sound swing is pretty obvious.  i don't think the scouts really are concerned with the end result.  obviously if you hit a dinger or two out of those parks with wood you will get some attention, and rightfully so.  personally, my son pitched the last inning of the second day.  he was pretty drained and didn't feel as though he reached his max fastball mph.  maybe that is true, maybe not, but at least now he has some measurables from a respected third party that he can use as a baseline to see where he needs to work harder.  from my perspective, our expectations were met.