Skip to main content

Reply to "Picking the right travel org"

@JETSR71 posted:

There is always the option of doing both.  Play for the local team but get picked up for a WWBA or two on a national team.  Some national teams are fine with bringing in a hired gun for one or two tournaments.  As long as all the coaches know the plan, they should be fine with it or at least understand it.  For a 2024, this will start building the resume without breaking the bank.  See if its and option.

My 2024 1B/LHP is going down the "do both" path this summer ... this topic (and our very recent decision making on this topic) became a bit stressful until the best fit opportunity surfaced for my son (and his parents).

Our decision making had a few Must Haves: 1) honor previously made commitments with his local team, 2) the national team had to accept that my son would not attend their full schedule of events, and 3) the national team has the capacity to arrange chaperoned lodging, meals and local transportation for players if neither parent can make the trip.

The decision making also had a few Nice to Haves: 1) the national team roster consists of some really good players,  i.e., better than my son, 2) the national team's larger organization has a favorable compelling history and positive reputation on and off the field, and 3) my son will be able to contribute and compete in a two-way capacity.

My son agreed to PO roster spot with an organization that checked off all the other decision criteria.  He will have to be both opportunistic and also work to earn his AB's with this national team - time will tell.   Before all this, our snow needs to melt and he needs to play a HS season.  Like many 14 yr old kids, my 2024 does not yet know what level of college baseball play he might fit into; this summer's guest play with a national team will go a long way to answering that question (for my son, his parents, and the many baseball people that think my son is "projectable").

Last edited by mjd-dad