Skip to main content

Reply to "Picking the right travel org"

3&2 couldn’t be more correct. When my son was a senior in HS, he had a couple MLB scouts at one of his games. He played CF and batted 3 or 4 when he wasn’t pitching. He was to start in game 2 of DH. In game 1, one of the MLB scouts was sitting in press box. Scout had gone to concession stand during one of sons’ AB. Son CRUSHED a HR to RF that landed WAY out in parking lot. When the scout returned, a buddy of mine was doing the announcing. He told the scout, “You missed a monster HR”. The scout looked him in the eye and said, “I could care less about his AB. That kid will never touch a bat after HS”. Until now, that scout has been 100% correct. My friend just couldn’t understand why he said that. I think that is pretty typical of 98% of people at the HS level. They just don’t fully understand where a player’s strengths are. I was one of those dads that thought my kid could be a 2 way player in college. In all fairness, his college coach told him once he got to campus he was gonna I’ve him a shot to do both. Son tore his UCL in first bullpen, had TJ surgery and redshirted. Hitting was never mentioned again. It’s almost impossible to be a 2 way player past HS IF your goal is professional baseball. I guarantee you there are guys with the talent in MLB that could switch. It has been done a few times that a guy changed from position player to pitcher or vice-versa to prolong career. It’s just WAY MORE unlikely that most believe it understand. It’s so difficult to be exceptional at one aspect.