Skip to main content

Reply to "Pie Throwing"

Is ther any proof that pie throwing is bad for your arm? Im not endorsing it, but just because it is not pleasing to the eye doesnt mean its a flaw. I know scouts are not big on "pie throwers," but what if someone is having a great deal of success throwing this way. Who determines what a "flaw" is? There was a pitcher here a few years ago named Alex who threw 88-90 with a great deal of funk. he had a very quick arm pump, a quick and quirky leg kick, and a awkward arm action...And he ran right through everyone. The hitters I talked to said he was nasty. After the gurus got ahold of him he looked pretty as a picture and threw 84 and couldnt get anyone out. Im not an endorser of pie throwing, but I love to see pitchers have different looks and arm slots. The hitters are not comfortable with it.

I agree kids dont throw as much as they used to, but the mechanics being taught have discouraged freedom and power in the pitchers deliveries. Arms no longer swing freely, full windups are no longer taught, slide steps are taught as if vince coleman were always on base, and walks and arm injuries are way to high. I have a tough time telling if new pitchers are brought into games because every delivery looks the same. Flaws, or style? peace