Skip to main content

Reply to "Pie Throwing"

DeeMac,

Excellent stuff! good

Won’t mention names, but once watched a certain juco team play a four game series. The coach of that team was a well known pitching instructor.

Each pitcher on that team that I saw over three days, looked exactly like the guy he was replacing. Different size, different velocity, different ability, but exact same delivery and mechanics. Can you say (Cookie Cutter)?

Yes, it’s pleasing to watch the fluid delivery of some, but one only has to watch enough games to realize the advantage of different arm angles, different angles to the plate (cross body), different timing and yes even different mechanics to an extent.

If there was only one way to be effective, hitters get into BP mode. To be honest I think there is a lot of that going on now days. It seems that the natural part is being taken over by the scientific part. Some of this can be good, but I think some of it is actually causing injuries. Pitchers simply are not all the same.

There have been those with nearly perfect mechanics who get cut on and there are those with bad mechanics who get cut on. Also, size of the pitcher being a factor is slowly turning into an “old wives tale”. Big and small are both being cut on and many of the small are outlasting many of the big. It's right there in front of our eyes. Don't know how long before someone notices.

Bottom line… The study is not yet complete… The scientist’s need to keep working! The doctors seem to forget one small detail in their information. They concentrate on the health of the arm (rightfully so), but often disregard the fact a pitcher needs to get hitters out. There are a million former high school pitchers who no longer pitch, but they have healthy arms!

Deception is not an “Iron Mike”. Thanks for the reminder! lightbul