Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitch Count"

Originally Posted by lionbaseball:
Here is an example.
My son pitched 102 pitches in 4 innings.
Part was due tomy son's frustration with the umpires inconsistent strike zone, part due to errors on our fielders and part due to the discipline of the opposing teams hitters.  It all boils down to changing out pitchers sooner. After a 32 pitch first inning my son should have been pulled.

I am assuming that at most HS varsity baseball games errors happen, but for the most part an occassional error is not going to be the main cause for extremely high pitch counts.  102 through 4 is crazy....32 after one is even worse.  Umpires at HS levels can be a challenge, I do not see very discipline hitting in HS (if anything very undisciplined hitters)....again I'd say, pound the strike zone, work ahead (very important, this expands the zone).  Be curious if we asked in these cases, and received accurate feed back what the answers to the following would be:  % first pitch strikes, and strike / ball ratio....I think this would be most telling.  If those numbers were in-line, then we would have to be talking about A LOT of errors....which I guess could be the case, or that the pitcher is giving up quite a few hits.

Last edited by Back foot slider