Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitch Count"

TXdad2019 posted:
luv baseball posted:

I've spent time in Texas and have a couple of uncles that got rich there - Houston in garbage and Dallas in computers.  One of the great places on earth.  If you ever saw Buster the Beer drinking Buffalo (Lonestar of course)in Alvin at a roadhouse there - you know what I am talking about.

But like any stereotype worth its salt, there has to be a little truth in it to work.  Hell, Hank Hill has been on forever and is pretty funny - so no insult intended, just a little funning around!

Oh, no offense taken. I crack up at the stereotypes all of the time. I actually think it's funny. I'm originally from Louisiana, so I really get messed with from fellow Texans about being Cajun. LOL

When I turned 40, I got laid off for the first time, and I was so scared, desperate, etc.  A few months in, I had a very important interview, and job interviews weren't coming too quickly.  We were still coming out of the recession, and job hunting was tough.  Anyhow, I wear a little mouthpiece that has a tooth on it, because I lost a tooth as a young, fool who liked to fight.  

So I go to the interview, and it is going really well.  There is the manager of the position, and the VP that he reports to.  About 30 minutes in, my tongue touches the spot where my mouthpiece normally resides, and I recognize that I didn't have my mouthpiece in.  I was mortified!  I needed this job so bad!  I'm sure my facial expressions showed how horrified I was.  I told them that I was sorry that I forgot my tooth today, and my embarrassment continued.  A few minutes later, the VP had to leave the meeting.  I said to the manager, "I'm so sorry that I forgot my tooth, I'm really embarrassed about it."  He responds with, "Oh, don't worry about it.  I'm from Louisiana!"  LOL!

I ended up getting the job, and I worked their for 3 years.  We became good friends, and we had some great times working together.  By the way, he was from Bossier City.