Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitch framing evaluation?"

Buckeye 2015 posted:

I guess the biggest question would be how do you possibly know those numbers???     What age of summer ball was he playing?     Unless they were both catching the same pitchers throwing the same pitches to the same batters,  I don't see that number meaning much if anything.  As far as college catchers and what is looked at.....as the dad of a D1 pitcher, I can tell you that the pitchers only care if the catcher can block balls in the dirt and save them giving up bases (and throw guys out)......and the coaches only care if the catchers can hit and throw guys out. 

I ran a 15U/16U team for two summers that had essentially one catcher.  This kid could have played D1 ball, but chose to go to the Marines.  We had 4 future D1 pitchers on that team...my son was one....and two lefties that both got drafted out of D1's last summer as Juniors and are now in the MiLB.  I can tell you that at least 1 of those MilB guys...and also my son...will tell you that to this day, that kid is the best catcher they ever had.  Why?  Because they could bounce a curveball in the dirt at ANY time...and know that it wasn't getting by him.  They wouldn't hesitate to bounce balls even with guys on third.  I can tell you that my son got spoiled lol.  Going back to HS the following Spring was tough...and he had to change his whole pitching strategy and be a lot more careful.  My son would probably take put him behind the plate today if he could....even though he hasn't caught a game in 4 years...he was just that confident having him back there

+1000