Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitch framing evaluation?"

My youngest was a wrestler then a catcher. He loved blocking and took great pride in being the dirtiest catcher after practices. He was also very proud that none of the other catchers could come close to the time he could on wall squats, even though they had been at all the winter workouts, and he had been to none.  He did not play after his Freshman year in HS. He was the only catcher on any team he played that was allowed to call pitches. Freshman year he was the third catcher on the freshman team. He still got to call pitches, and the others did not. It was a sore point among some parents. However he was still the third catcher, and did not get much time catching. 

In wrestling he was always one of the lightweights, 106 his freshman year. So the reality of keeping his weight in check was somewhat at odds. Although his core was relatively strong and his lower body. However the other catchers had stronger arms and could better control the the run game. My son was not very good at throwing down to second. He was accurate, however he usually short hopped it. Many of the BB coaches, had hoped he would stick it out. They hoped he would have the same kind of Growth Spurt his older brother had. They loved his potential, however it was just that potential. So the other catchers all had a leg up unless he grew quite a bit more. 

He has been out of BB since Freshman year and he is getting ready to graduate from college with a degree in Engineering. I still see some of his old coaches and His older brother is now coaching in the program. They always mentions that they wish he could have stuck it out, however they understood Wrestling came first.