Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitch Speed At the Plate? (Fox World Series Coverage)"

quote:
It would be very interesting to know which pitcher has the best late velocity. It's possible it is someone other than the pitcher with the best early velocity.

That is a fascinating question that I would love to know the answer to.

They used to use the phrase "rising fastball" that has been debunked somewhat by the analytical analysis that Midlo suggests. Even if it were an optical illusion, some guys seemed to have late explosion on their fastballs that made them appear to "rise" above the hitters swing plane. I think, we often see it in closers. Goose Gossage was one that comes to mind but there are many of them.

For starting pitchers, Jim Palmer seemed to have this type of late explosion at the plate. When he let the ball go it looked effortless but it seemed to gobble the hitters up by the time it got there. Bob Gibson was another one. From what I have read about Bob Feller and observed on old news reels - he also had this ability. Koufax was another. I think there is more to it than just how fast it goes when it leaves someone's hand.

Greg Maddux was another who seemed to have late velocity imho. I don't think most would categorize him as a power pitcher however.